Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pediatrician's Visit Last Saturday

I went to the doctor's office last Saturday for my 15-month checkup. I was already pretty grumpy when I got to the office, and when the nurse showed me to the examination room, I remembered the unpleasant prodding and poking that had happened in that room recently when Daddy brought me to get looked at when I came down with roseola. When the doctor came into the room, I started wailing in earnest. I didn't like it when she put cold metallic discs on my chest. I didn't like it when she put a strip of paper around my head, or when she made me lie down and checked me all over. I especially didn't like when she looked in my mouth or checked my ears. I think I cried the loudest I had ever cried. Mommy thought I was getting to be a bigger and bigger baby the older I got, but she felt bad for me. I kept crying even when Mommy and Daddy were asking the doctor lots of questions even though the doctor let Mommy hold me.

I'm now 32 1/2 in. tall and was 30 3/4 in. tall at my 12-month checkup. That's 95 percentile but Mommy has seen lots of taller kids my age. I'm now about 25 lbs. 12 oz. and was 23 lbs. 2 oz. at my last checkup. That's 75 to 90 percentile. My head circumference is 18 3/4 in. and was 18 1/4 in. at my last checkup. That's 90 percentile.

After the doctor left, the nurse came in to give me some shots. I got the flu shot and a combo shot that may have included the DTap, polio, and Hib vaccines. I say "may" because Mommy and Daddy are not sure what I got (oh Mommy and Daddy!). I was upset with the nurse but the shots didn't bother me much more since I was just so upset with the overall situation.

After the doctor's visit, Mommy and Daddy took me home for a nap before the Halloween party. When I woke up, I was very grumpy and mad at them still from the betrayal of taking me to the doctor's office. I wouldn't stop crying until they put Elmo on the TV. I sat on the couch, slumped, letting gravity pull me to one side or the other slowly. I didn't try to adjust myself. When gravity pulled me fully to one side, I started crying and Mommy would come over and set me upright on the couch. I would start sliding down to the other side and then a minute later I would start crying and Mommy would come back to set me back upright. Mommy thought the whole situation was very funny and started laughing at me. I glared at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment