Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Six Month Checkup

Today I went to the pediatrician's office for my six month checkup. I'm now 28 in. tall (>95 percentile), weigh 18 lbs. 12 oz. (90 to 95%), and have a head circumference of 17 1/8 in. (75 %). Mommy pointed out to the doctor that I've only gained about 1 lb. 6 oz. since my four month checkup, but the doctor said that was fine, and was expected for breastfed babies. She said that the growth curve for breastfed babies is steeper early on than for formula-fed babies, but then becomes less steep. The doctor also said that I can start on solid foods now. She recommended rice cereal as my first food, and discussed how to prepare and give it to me. She said after I get used to the rice cereal, I can try other foods, like pureed vegetables and fruits.

The doctor asked Mommy and Daddy questions about my development, such as "Does Jordan hold toys and transfer them from one hand to the other?", "does she roll?", and "does she try standing and holding up her own weight when pulled to a standing position?" On the last question, Mommy told the doctor that I sometimes would kick my legs, but that I was a bit lazy. The doctor pulled me to a standing position, and I kicked once but relaxed my legs right away. The doctor laughed and said it does look like I'm lazy. She also tried pulling me to a sitting position, but I did my usual jelly arms and didn't try to bear weight on my own.

The doctor looked inside my mouth and said that I was about to get my teeth. She pointed to the elevated bumps on the front of my bottom gums. Yay, watch out world, here I come with teeth! :)

But then came the bad part. I got an oral vaccine and three shots this time. That's one more than last time, since Mommy and Daddy also made me get the flu shot this time around, on the doctor's recommendation. I was very mad at the shots and took some time to quiet down, even though Mommy fed me right away to help soothe me. But I was ok after a while. The picture below was taken after I received my shots, while we waited in the examination room for the nurse to come back and make sure I wasn't allergic to the flu vaccine.

2 comments:

  1. What a brave baby! You aren't scared of going to the doctor and stuff, are you? Teach me how you maintain your bravery now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't scared to go to the doctor's office because I didn't know what was coming.... but I think I will remember this dastardly place next time Mommy and Daddy try to take me here! :)

    ReplyDelete